Live CLE Seminar
Collection Law: Debtors, Assets & Judgments
July 24, 2012 • Pittsburgh, PA
This CLE class will cover the procedures for legally collecting a winning judgment against a bad debt. Additionally, the class will discuss recovery actions and compliance with governing collection guidelines.
By attending this class attorneys will be better equipped to maximize their chances to recover.
- Finding Debtors and Their Assets
- Obtaining a Judgment
- Collecting a Judgment
- What are the creditor's rights when a debtor files for bankruptcy
Attorney Robert S. Bernstein
Bernstein-Burkley, P.C. – Pittsburgh, PA
Robert S. Bernstein became aware of the intricacies of the legal system at the age of 14, while working for his father as the firm's liaison to the sheriff's department. Today he serves as counsel to commercial landlords, equipment lessors, bankruptcy trustees, creditors' committees, creditors and reorganizing businesses in proceedings throughout Pennsylvania and the Middle Atlantic States, concentrating in the many facets of bankruptcy and commercial law.
While fulfilling his duties as managing partner of Bernstein-Burkley, P.C., Bernstein represents other businesses of all sizes and types in many areas of their operation, including representation in reorganization proceedings. He has extensive experience in credit recovery matters, including collection, secured transaction and mortgage foreclosure.
His book, Get P.A.I.D.™: A Guide to Getting Paid Faster (and What to Do if You Don't!) lays out an innovative strategy for businesses to successfully manage their credit policy and collect for their sales. Get P.A.I.D. is Bernstein's comprehensive system for businesses and credit managers to increase profits, reduce costs and delays, while developing better relationships with customers.
Bernstein heads the Preference Defense Team, a specialized group within the firm dedicated to the effective and efficient representation of clients against whom preference payment claims are made.
Bob writes and lectures for local and national groups on matters of collection, bankruptcy, business law, and professional ethics and, for more than 17 years, has been certified as both a creditors' rights and business bankruptcy specialist by the American Board of Certification. Currently, few attorneys in the country hold both certifications.
As a trained mediator, Bernstein is also a member of the Association for Conflict Resolution, an organization dedicated to the practice and public understanding of conflict resolution.
Bernstein served as both president and treasurer of the Commercial Law League of America, North America's oldest creditors' rights organization. He served as chair of the Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility of the CLLA. Bernstein served as chairman of the American Board of Certification, the country's only bankruptcy and creditors' rights certifying organization. Bernstein also works on several committees within the Allegheny County Bar Association, where he is a past chairman of the Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section, the Technology Utilization Committee, and the Professional Ethics Committee. Bernstein was a member of the Legal Committee of the Equipment Leasing and Finance Association (ELFA) and is the founder of the Lease Enforcement Attorney Network (LEAN).
Bernstein has been a Pennsylvania Super Lawyer since 2004 in the area of bankruptcy and workout by Philadelphia Magazine. He was also named as one of The Best Lawyers in America for 2009 and 2010 by his peers in the field of Bankruptcy. (Copyright 2008 by Woodward/White, Inc. of Aiken, S.C.).
- Creditors' Rights Specialist – American Board of Certification (1993-present).
- Business Bankruptcy Specialist – American Board of Certification (1993-present).
- Born in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- Admitted to the bars of Pennsylvania ; Florida ; West Virginia ; New York
- Admitted Federal jurisdictions: the United States District Court for the Western, Middle and Eastern Districts of Pennsylvania ; the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit, and the United States Supreme Court
- Education: University of Pittsburgh (B.A., 1976); Duquesne University (J.D., 1981)
- Commercial Law League of America : President (1995-1996); Board of Governors (1991-1994); Recording Secretary (1989-1990); Treasurer (2001-2002); Chair, Committee on Ethics and Professional Responsibility (2002-2004); Chair, Young Members Section (1986-1987)
- American Board of Certification; Chairman (2006-2007); President (2005-2006); Treasurer (2003-2005); Chair, Standards Committee (2001-2002)
- Lease Enforcement Attorneys Network, Founder and Chairman
- Equipment Leasing and Finance Association (ELFA); Legal Committee (2000-2003)
- Allegheny County Bar Association; Chair, Professional Ethics Committee (2003-2005); Chair, Technology Utilization Committee (1996-2001); Chair, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section (1992)
- Commercial Law Foundation, Fellow
- Association for Conflict Resolution, member, trained Mediator
- Duquesne University Law Alumni Association: President (1994-1995)
- American Bankruptcy Institute: Member
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society, Allegheny District Chapter: Chairman, Board of Trustees (2006-2009)
- Temple Sinai , Pittsburgh , PA : President, Board of Trustees (2005-2007)
Attorney Nicholas D. Krawec
Bernstein-Burkley, P.C. – Pittsburgh, PA
Nicholas Krawec is a partner in Bernstein-Burkley, P.C., in Pittsburgh, PA, where practices in the areas of commercial litigation, collection law and creditors' rights. He is a 1983 graduate of Duquesne University School of Law where he wrote for the Duquesne Law Review. He has been certified by the American Board of Certification as a Creditors' Rights Specialist. He is admitted to the bars of Pennsylvania, North Carolina and Ohio, the United States District Courts for the Western and Middle Districts of Pennsylvania, the United States Court of Appeals for Veterans Claims, the United States Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit and the United States Supreme Court.
Mr. Krawec is a frequent lecturer for National Business Institute and Lorman Educational Services, as well as for local credit industry trade groups, on credit, collections and collection related topics. He is a member of the Allegheny County Bar Association (member, Bankruptcy and Commercial Law Section; Co-Chairman, Military & Veterans' Affairs Committee), the Commercial Law League of America (Past Chair, Creditors' Rights Section), and he serves on the Education Committee of the International Association of Commercial Collectors. Mr. Krawec has been listed as a Pennsylvania Superlawyer, in the field of creditors' rights 2008-2012, by Philadelphia Magazine.
Prior to joining Bernstein-Burkley, P.C., and while attending law school in Duquesne University Law School's evening division, Mr. Krawec worked as a contract administrator for Westinghouse Electric Corporation's Plant Apparatus Division, negotiating and administering contracts for the procurement of naval nuclear propulsion components.
Attorney Shawn P. McClure
Bernstein-Burkley, P.C. – Pittsburgh, PA
Shawn is an associate who focuses primarily on commercial collection litigation. Shawn also handles other types of creditors rights litigation including the filing and defense of mechanics' liens, foreclosure actions and tax sale issues. Shawn has been with the firm since graduating from law school at Duquesne University.
While earning his Juris Doctorate, he clerked for the Office of the Chapter 13 Bankruptcy Trustee for the Western District of Pennsylvania, and completed an externship for the Honorable Thomas M. Hardiman of the United States District Court for the Western District of Pennsylvania.
- Admitted to the bar of Pennsylvania 2007
- Admitted to practice before the United States District Courts for the Western District of Pennsylvania (2007) and the Middle District of Pennsylvania (2008).
- Saint Francis University (B.S. Accounting, 2003); Duquesne University School of Law (J.D., 2007)
- Commercial Law League of America, Member
Young Members Section – Executive Council Two Year Term 2010-2012
- International Association of Commercial Collectors (IACC) – SCOPE Magazine Committee
- Allegheny County Bar Association, Member
- Three Rivers Center for Independent Living, Member of the Development Advisory Committee to the Board
- Acceptance, Rejection, Revocation of Acceptance and Reclamation in PA
- Confession of Judgment under Pennsylvania Law
- Federal Court Replevin Actions: Making Use of a Valuable, but Often Overlooked Tool
- Forum Selection Clauses Under Pennsylvania Law
Total CLE Credit Hours:
This course has been approved by the Pennsylvania Bar Association. Please contact LawReviewCle for the exact number of CLE credits.
Credit & Programming Satisfaction Guarantee
01:30 PM – 04:45 PM
Omni William Penn Hotel
530 William Penn Place
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15219
Young Lawyers, with under four (4) years acceptance to the Bar, may use coupon code YL25
to receive a $25 discount when checking out.
Note: Discounts can not be combined.
Note: If registering three (3) days before the event your course materials will be sent to you via e-mail.
Can't attend? Pre-order audio now.
Receive a copy of the complete audio recording of this live CLE seminar along with all materials.
Note: Audio recordings are made available approximately two (2) weeks after completion of the live seminar.
For the complete list of seminars being offered in STATE, click here