Live CLE Seminar
Elder Law: Basics of Elder Law From A-Z
September 6, 2012 • Providence, RI
This course has been canceled. We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused.
The course covers the issues presented in representing older clients and those who are providing care for older clients. It will address ethical issues such as confidentiality and conflicts of interest, family and advisor involvement and conflict/confidentiality waivers. It will examine preventive documents such as powers of attorney and trusts and their use, along with determinations of incapacity and the attorney's duties regarding the same, an overview of elder abuse laws and elder resources, the conservatorship/guardianship process for those needing court oversight of the care of their person and/or estate, and will end with an overview of Medicaid eligibility and planning.
- Attorney/Client Relations
- Preventive Documents
- Determining Capacity
- Elder Abuse Laws and Resources
- Medicaid Planning
Attorney Macrina G. Hjerpe
Winograd, Shine & Zacks. P.C. – Providence, RI
Macrina G. Hjerpe, Esq. is the managing attorney for The Planning Center. She focuses her practice on the areas of estate planning, elder law, Medicaid planning, Veterans Benefits, guardianships, probate and estate administration, trust administration, special needs trusts, and asset protection.
Prior to working at The Planning Center, Ms. Hjerpe served as a Senior Vice President and Trust Officer at Bank of America, N.A. and as a voting member of the Bank of America’s Northeast Regional Fiduciary Committee. She has also worked as a Senior Attorney and Trust Specialist for the U.S. Treasury’s Office of Thrift Supervision and began her career as an associate at Kutak, Rock & Campbell, Washington, D.C.
For much of her career, Ms. Hjerpe provided sophisticated tax and estate planning to a wide range of well-to-do clients, including a professional athlete and CEOs of significant companies. Ms. Hjerpe’s passion for elder law grew out of a family crisis. Her father, who suffered from Parkinson’s disease, contracted a staph infection in his brain following brain surgery. As Ms. Hjerpe and her family grappled with the issues surrounding Medicare, home care, Veterans Benefits, long-term care and Medicaid, she came to realize that many of the legal techniques that save estate tax for the wealthy also help to protect assets for the elderly. Since then, Ms. Hjerpe has used her legal training to help other families plan to protect their assets or face a long-term care crisis. Her objective is to treat all families as if they were her own.
Ms. Hjerpe received her B.A. Degree, magna cum laude, from the College of the Holy Cross, her J.D. degree from the University of Notre Dame and her LL.M in Taxation from the Boston University School of Law. She was admitted to practice law in the District of Columbia in 1984, the State of Rhode Island in 2007 and the Commonwealth of Massachusetts in 2009. She is a member of the Rhode Island Bar Association, the Massachusetts Bar Association and the District of Columbia Bar Association. She is a Charter Member of Elder Counsel, an Accredited Attorney with the United States Veterans Administration, and a Member of the National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys and the Rhode Island Estate Planning Council and Wealth Transfer Planning. Ms. Hjerpe is a sought-after speaker and frequently lectures about Estate Planning, Medicaid Planning, Trust Administration, Ethics in Estate Planning, Probate and Elder Law.
Attorney Jeremy Howe
The Law Offices of Jeremy W. Howe, Ltd. – Providence, RI
State of Rhode Island, admitted 1974
Federal District Court: First Circuit, admitted 1974
- "Divorce With Dignity," Rhode Island Bar Journal, April, 1997. Divorce Mediation Training Manual, Roger Williams University, January 1999
- "QDROs: From A-Z, Food for Thought re: Avoiding Malpractice" RI Bar Assoc., Nov. 2008
- "QDRO Practice in Rhode Island from A-Z" Co-author, RI Bar Assoc., Oct. 2009
- "A Practical Guide to Divorce in Rhode Island" Co-author, Retirement Assets, 1st edition 2009, MCLE New England
- "Special Issues in Military Divorce" Co-Author, Advanced Family Law, National Business Institute, May 2010
Family Law, Pension and Retirement
- "Military Pension Issues," Rhode Island Bar Association Annual Meeting, June 16-17, 1994
- "Special (Military) Divorce Settlements," Rhode Island Bar Association Annual Meeting, March 9, 1996
- "Representing the Military Divorce Client," Rhode Island Bar Association, June 2002.
- "Special Issues in Military Divorce" Advanced Family Law, National Business Institute, 2010
- "QDROs: From A-Z, Food for Thought re: Avoiding Malpractice" RI Bar Assoc., 2008
I lecture frequently on Elder Law issues for the Rhode Island Bar Association Speakers Panel and with private groups and senior centers.
- American Bar Association (Section member: Family Law, Real Property, Probate & Trust Sections (former) for more than 20 years.
- Gallogly Family Law Inn of Court (Rhode Island), former Barrister
- Family Law of Rhode Island, approved list of mediators
- Rhode Island Bar Association, Elder Law Panel
- Christian Legal Society
- Rhode Island Mediators Association, Executive Board
- Association of Conflict Resolution, Advanced Practitioner
I am a "family lawyer" in the broadest sense of the term. I have practiced since 1974, representing families, members of families (and others in a relationship) during good times and bad times. I have represented approximately 1,000 divorce clients, both civilian and military, and more than that number of clients in other domestic matters such as adoptive parents, juveniles, unmarried parents, grandparents, and partners. I mediate all family issues with a co-mediator who is a family and child psychotherapist when not mediating with me.
I also have focused my practice on wills, estates, trusts, probate, and all elder law issues such as Medicaid planning and long-term care insurance questions.
I have mediated intergenerational problems, sibling problems, and other estate related problems among family members. I have mediated hundreds of divorce, parenting, paternity, child support, grandparents and partner matters.
Many of my clients seek my counsel on all of their legal issues. They know that if a specialist is needed, I will refer them to the lawyer who is the best fit for their specific need.
Undergraduate School: Tufts University, Medford, MA, 1967
BA English; Law School: Suffolk University School of Law, Boston MA, 1972, JD
Married to Joan (Mudge). Our four children are (respectively, according to age) raising two granddaughters in Massachusetts, serving in the United States Navy and raising two granddaughters in Rhode Island, working in retail sales in Massachusetts, and working as a marketing sales specialist in North Carolina. I enjoy cooking, staying healthy, and tending to our home and gardens.
United States Peace Corps, Afghanistan, 1967 to 1969
Attorney Hilary M. Carlson
The Law Offices of Jeremy W. Howe, Ltd. – Providence, RI
- Estate Administration
- Estate Planning
- Guardian Ad Litem
- Medicaid Planning
- Veterans' Aid and Attendance Benefits
- Revocable (Living) Trusts
- "Estate Planning" 2011 United States Coast Guard Senior Leadership Conference
- "Estate Planning and Long Term Care" – RI Deaf Senior Citizens, 2010
- "Estate Planning and Long Term Care" - Little Compton Library, 2010
- "Health Care Durable Power of Attorney Clinic" – RI Bar Association, Newport, 2009
- "Ethical Issues in End of Life Care" – University of Tel Aviv, bioethics seminar, 2006
- Rhode Island Bar Association
- Business Networking International, former RI Bar Assoc. Elderly Pro Bono ProgramLawyer Referral Service
- Rhode Island Bar, admitted to practice, January 2007
- Former Licensed Independent Clinical Social Worker (Rhode Island)
- Former hospice social worker
- United States District Court (District of Rhode Island), admitted to practice, May 2007
- Cleveland-Marshall College of Law, J.D.
- University of Connecticut, School of Social Work, M.S.W.
- University of Rhode Island, B.A.
- Born and raised in Wakefield, Rhode Island, currently living in Westport, Massachusetts. Married to Kurt A. Carlson, retired Coast Guard Captain.
- Two daughters, Emily and Dana.
Total CLE Credit Hours:
Rhode Island CLE credits are pending approval.
Credit & Programming Satisfaction Guarantee
09:15 AM – 04:45 PM
The Westin Providence Hotel
One West Exchange Street
Providence, RI 02903
Young Lawyers, with under four (4) years acceptance to the Bar, may use coupon code YL25
to receive a $25 discount when checking out.
Note: Discounts can not be combined.